Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It Quacks me up

I was taught a valuable lesson years ago but for some reason I choose to repeat it over and over again. The lesson is do not feed a stray because it then becomes your responsibility. I learned this lesson by feeding countless kittens, cats, dogs and pups. I also learned if you feed the squirrels and birds they come to expect it. I have met a number of squirrels that would come and look in the windows and storm door wondering where the food was. There has been a few that would even knock not caring that there were several Boston Terriers on the other side that would love to take a bite out of them. There even has been a tricky booger that learned I kept the squirrel food in the large plastic bucket on the front porch. It took her all of two days of watching me fill the feeders then she helped herself by eating a hole in the lid of the bucket.
Now after caring for animals for the majority of my life I screwed up once again. I was saying how having just the two dogs to care for was so easy to do until I screwed up and fed a gaggle of ducks that live somewhere near by. I know there is a large pit with water in it across the way but I don't know who the ducks belong to. Now when I go outside or come in from work the ducks race across the road to see me knowing I have a soft heart and will feed them bread or what ever I find. Now that I feel sorry for the skinny ducks I guess I will stop off at the local feed store and purchase some duck feed. I guess that is what I get for having a soft heart but I look at it this way I have about a dozen new friends.

No comments: