Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Friday, September 19, 2008

It's Ironic

After getting a call from my youngest son Justin about their welfare after Hurricane Ike I felt a little better and less worried. The whole bunch of them fared well and the house is still standing. The sad thing was my beautiful peach tree that I lovingly named General Sam Houston, was blown over. Mickey and I had planted the tree years ago and I would talk to General Sam each and every time I would get in or out of my truck because I parked under him. Everyone laughed at me when I planted the little peach tree saying it would never bear fruit. I laughed in return when just a few months latter we had a bushel of peaches to enjoy. Each year General Sam grew more and gave me peaches to enjoy and share with the neighbors. Justin said Josh pulled it out of the ground which upset him terribly. Justin and Sheena struggled to get it back in the ground hoping to save it. He said that every time he saw that tree he was reminded of me. I replied Justin I moved I’m not dead.
Kikki called to tell me they were still without power but someone had ran an extension cord to their house so they had a refrigerator for the baby. Then she told me that my Texas fence blew down. The funny thing of that is I had painted all these pieces of tin with Texas Battle Flags and attached them to the back fence. When Ike came through he blew my fence into the Mexican families’ house behind us in bedding several flags into their siding. The Ironic thing is the people do not speak English so they didn’t complain when Tom and the boys went to retrieve the fence and flags well at least I hope the retrieved the flags. All this happened right around the time most people of Mexican decent are celebrating their independence from Spain. Viva Texas!
They say the area looks like a battle area with trees down everywhere and the power company is still trying to reset all the lines that are down. I can say I’m glad I do not live in Harris County anymore. To separate myself more I now have a Hill Country phone number thus being able to shut down my Harris county line.
The other day at work my Hill Country line rang and I answered it as I sat at one of the tables in the break room. As I talked on the dark pink Hill Country phone my light pink Harris County phone rang. I asked the person on the Hill Country phone to hold on while I answered the other line. Some one sitting at the table laughed as I talked on the two phones. Once I had closed both phones and placed them back in my pockets she replied “You must be important” I smiled real big and said” I am I’m important in two area codes 281 and 830 oh I’m sorry make that four I have my 713 phone at home but I gave my 832 to my x.”
We all had a great laugh on that one as I got up to finish my day at Wal-Mart.

p.s. Last night my son Justin called telling me that it didn't look good for the peach tree.Poor old General Sam just needed my gentle tough but I'm too far away to help. I guess that is just a sign that I am gone for good. My Harris County phone line now belongs to my daughter Kikki. I'm just severing ties that bind.

No comments: