Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Learning from the journey



It has been 14 months since I began my journey with my cancer battle, 8 months since I was diagnosed, 7 months since I began treatment and 2 months since I have been declared cancer free. At first I only dealt with female doctors and technicians then the care broadened and now I endure lying topless around all sorts of men and women. I guess you grow a strong skin when you have to deal with life altering medical conditions. When I was changing last night John commented that it was bothersome seeing men’s initials and all sorts of drawings all over my torso. I laughed and said yep it is bothersome seeing a sea of men’s faces as you lay topless letting them draw on you. My cognitive reduction has now made it difficult for me to remember all the names. I was doing good remembering all the chemo techs names but some of them fail me now. I still go every 3 weeks for my infusion but many of the ladies names fail me. I am glad that the entry tech Jayme informs me of whose room I will be in at each visit.

The chemo did a number on me in many ways but it was the chemo and the prayers that eradicated those ugly cancer cells. I have always tried to be a patient and positive person. My mantra is live by example. One thing that I know for certain is you cannot change people; they must want to change for themselves and work to do so. No one is perfect. John has his issues, I have my issues and each and every one of you has your issues. Hopefully we know what they are and we are working on them. I remember telling someone that the thing that irritates you most about the other person is usually one of the habits or issues you must face yourself. The old saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks” is false. No matter where you are in life you can learn new habits and behaviors. I earned my Masters in my 50’s. I have seen women and men in their 70’s and 80’s earning degrees and walking across the stage to get that coveted piece a paper that they had worked for.  I believe that through a loving demeanor you are drawing in more loving people into your life. If you look at others as bad or untrusting then you will draw in more bad and untrustworthy people. I also believe in second chances. I am an honest person and hope by being so I am drawing honest people my way.
I know the world isn’t a perfect place and those that are not enlightened will spread hate, descent, and just plain old stupidity. I hear and read every day on Facebook how some hate this or that or how this group is discriminating against another group. First I believe if we stop labeling one another and realize that we are the human race and everyone has an opinion whether you agree or not that person has the right to that opinion. You do not have to agree with another person’s religion, culture, beliefs, sexual orientation or actions but you should have the respect to allow the other person to have that belief, opinion orientation or behavior. We need to stop placing judgements on people. We all make mistakes and there are good and bad people of every race, creed and religion. Thanks to the internet and social media plus the news media there are many issues in the limelight. We should use this opportunity to learn not to take a stance or pass judgement. I firmly believe that it is not my place to pass judgement on any one. I give everyone the benefit of doubt. You may fool me once but you will never be given the chance to fool me twice because I will remember.

After dealing with the fact that I had breast cancer and dealing with the treatment I know how your life can change in an instant. I was preparing to be a Professor at Florida State College Jacksonville when the rug was pulled out from under me. Hopefully I can begin that journey once again when I am released from treatment. I guess I am just trying to touch some of the hardened hearts out there. Please do not spend your life being angry and hating others. Fill your every moment with love and happiness. Most of us have the love of the fur covered baby in common. When you get angry at something on the television or social media stop and pick up that perfect loving creature. Love like a dog, perfectly and endlessly and your life will be filled with peace not anger and hate. We all face oppression because this world is so diverse. No one has the patent on pain and suffering. Try living by example and see how your life will become happier and less stressful. Be positive and surround yourself with love.

No comments: