Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Learning more about Alien Occupation



With so much information available on breast cancer I have been trying to get a hold on what I need to know. I was surprised to learn that about 240,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year. That is a huge number of families that are also affected. Breast cancer can run in families yet most cases of breast cancer happen by chance. Now if I had to come by something by chance I would have rather won the lottery.
At least the odds of survival are high and 90% of women who have breast cancer will be alive 5 years after diagnosis, 81% after 10 years and 73% after 15 years according to the American Cancer Society.
Well if I am going to have a whole front end alignment I want to have more than 15 years to enjoy the makeover and new breast. When I was younger I worked hard to train the girls to sit up and beg but after having my first child all they wanted to do were lay down then as I got older they got really good ta playing dead. My shoulders have deep groves from the bra straps trying to hold up the weight of the lazy girls.
Like I have said before my biggest concern is that pesky lymph node. It has been found that cancer spreads through the lymph system. Right now we know that one of my lymph nodes; as a matter of fact my axillary lymph node has a tumor approximately 2.5 cm in size. Even with one or two lymph nodes involved the risk of spreading to other places is fairly low.
Metastases of breast cancer can include tumors developing in the other breast or in the same breast the first tumor developed. If it metastases through the lymph nodes it can first appear in the bones which about a quarter of all metastases first appear. One of the ladies I know was just told her mother now has cancer in the chest wall after 8 years of being cancer free. Statistics show that 20% show up in the lungs and 15 % show up in the liver and brain. Well at least I know my weak spots.
At least I will be seeing the surgeon in 7 days and I will not only have a time line but have a chance to ask questions about the diagnosis and treatment. Until then I am trying to stay positive and keep my sense of humor. There is a lot of fight in this ole girl and kicking the big C’s alien butt will be fun!


No comments: