Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day to you!

Happy Valentines Day!

Valentines Day is a day fueled by the greeting card companies, the candy industry and restaurants. Today is also my daughters 26th birthday. Happy Birthday Kikki! I have watched over the years happy couples treating one another on this special day and I admit to being jealous since my husband has never been romantic or has ever remembered to do anything nice for me for any special day. I always looked over this because I really didn’t see the point. I always believed loving someone was not about the gifts you receive but about the sacrifices in your everyday life.

On a day to day basis one of my children will ask me “Mom how much do you love me?” usually when there is something they want me to do for them or something they want me to buy. My answer is usually “More than I can express in words or money.” My daughter Kikki is the biggest one to pop this on me because she seems to be the one that ask more of me than the boys because she lives with her boyfriend and not under the same roof as I do.

I have tried to explain to the young people in my life that love can not be measured by how much money you spend on one another love is the little sacrifices you make on a daily basis. I have watched over the past week as they have bought one another little gifts to commemorate their love for one another but have not said much about it. I just see the consumer driven industry at work pushing the idea that you must but teddy bears, chocolates and heart themed gifts for someone to show them you love them.

My gift to my loved ones this Valentines Day is this blog. I hope to instill in all of you the true meaning of love and it is not hearts, flowers and candies.

What is Love?

Love is the little sacrifices we make for someone that means the world to us.

Love is wearing underwear with holes in them and broken elastic because you spent all your available money to buy new underwear for your children so they could look good while in school.

Love is doing with out lunch so that your children can have that extra treat when they come in from school.

Love is not eating your customary bowl of cereal for breakfast because there is only enough milk for your spouse’s coffee.

Love is standing in the hospital corridor and holding your spouse’s hand and rubbing their arm trying to comfort them as they wait to hear about an ailing parent.

Love is holding them in your arms and crying along with them as they say goodbye to that parent.

Love is putting your life on hold so you can be home when your children get out of school each day.

Love is finding a way with a small income to give your family a good meal, a warm home, and clean clothes while forgetting yourself because there is never enough to go around.

Love is leaving little notes saying I’m thinking of you.

Love is that extra cookie in the lunch box.

Love is staying up all night finishing that project that you child forgot is due the next day so your child can get a good nights rest.

Love is the sacrifices you make everyday, in every way, at each turn with each beat of your heart. Love is the tears you shed when your loved one is in pain. Love is holding their hand and giving them your strength when you need it yourself. Love is just being there when you are needed no matter how many miles that separates you. Love is the warmth you feel on a sunny day bottled up and given to those you love when it is cold and dreary. Love is listening to them bitch and complain then giving them a reassuring smile.

Just remember love is not buying candies and flowers or little trinkets with hearts and roses on them love is the little actions that make a difference on a daily basis. It would take me days if not months and endless blogs to give you little examples of what love is.

Love is trying to show those that you love that there is always a way and always a chance so think positive and believe.

I love you all and may your day of love be filled with those little sacrifices from those that love you.

No comments: