Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Monday, February 4, 2008

Whats in an age? I glow no matter what.

I still haven't figured out why we look at people differently as they age. I mull this over quite a bit because I notice even myself I treat people differently by age. Don't get me wrong I am in no way disrespectful to anyone I just tend to treat the older seniors with much more respect and look at them tenderly as they make their way through Wal-Mart. I am kinder to the older gentlemen but I do still flirt a little with them to get them to laugh because laughter makes you live longer. The ladies I enjoy talking to and tend to chat a little longer with the older ones. Sunday as I worked the express check out I met a delightful older woman in her eighties that just bubbled over when she read my name tag.
"Cindy Lou now where did you get a name like that?" She questioned as I rang up her purchases.
"Well actually my mother had two favorite aunts so I have two middle names Lou and Emma but the Cindy part was from Cinderella" I explained before adding "I have been Cindy Lou forever."
"Now that is a real Texan name you have there young lady." She offered as she looked me over.
"Thank you I'm proud to be a native Texan." I offered as I placed her bags in her cart.
We stood there chatting for awhile since the store was nearly dead thanks to the Superbowl. We talked about children and pets then shared pictures on our phones of our pets but not the children which I thought was funny.
She told me of her late husband and how he was a greeter at this store before he died and said she would be back in regularly to check up on me. I found this heart warming and told her I would be looking for her.
I love the seniors and all their wisdom.
Earlier in the day I was talking to one of the other cashiers about Grand children and laughed when she said that she loved her grand children but her daughter had ruined her grand daughter because she had no discipline. I explained that was exactly why I was running away I was afraid that I was going to become a dumping ground for problems. I explained that I had raised my children, they were all adults and responsible for themselves and I was tired of being held down by a mean controlling man so I was off the first chance I got.

She laughed and said your young go and enjoy your life.We discussed my book and how I was going to have the lions share of promoting it so I was practicing being aggressive so I could get it in book stores and get book signing engagements.

"Cindy Lou you look like you’re a fun girl." She exclaimed"Well I can be I guess because I do have a bit of a wild streak in me somewhere."
"You have a youthful appearance but the wisdom of a woman your age your lucky so get out there and give em hell." She advised before going back to her register.
"Thank you Louise I'll do just that if I can get these damn young uns to leave me alone." I offered as we both went back to work.
The conversation stuck with me most of the day.I get a kick out of women that don't believe me when I tell them my age. I explain it has nothing to do with how long you have been in this world it has everything to do with how you feel and how you live. If you feel old and live like your old then you’re going to look old.
A customer asked me today about how I looked so young and I told her I feel young because I hang out with my kids and their friends and they are all in their twenties. I would love to have people my own age to hang out with but they are all either married or not interested in going out to do things. Then I told her the reason I was glowing was because I was in the process of having a book published and I was excited.
She became so excited she shrieked "I can't believe it I'm meeting a celebrity."
"Hardly" I answered then wrote down the name of my book and my name for her because she was going to look for the first book signing.
Her two little daughters said mom I want to read her book. I must say it felt good to be a star in their eyes.
I am getting accustomed to people being surprised that their cashier is an author and I had written a murder mystery and not a romance novel.
One gentleman asked if I planned on writing more, my answer about fifty or so; he laughed, I was serious.
It's funny some days I get compliments on my long shinny hair and others I get compliments on other feature but the one thing that stands out the most is my name.
Everyone loves Cindy Lou.
I have had fellow associates come up to me and start up a conversation to ask me about my book because they had heard it from someone else. Today one of the department managers came up to tell me he had a dream that could possibly be my next book and said we need to sit down sometime so he could tell me. When I told him the publisher had sent me the contract for the first book he grabbed me and gave me a bear hug. I found this a bit funny.
Now when associates see me with my little orange folder or see me scribbling on my note pad they give me the thumbs up. Maybe I'm starting to enjoy the attention because for so long I was just a bump on the log but now I am a flower blooming on a pile of manure.
That's what writing fiction amounts to making up a bunch of shit to entertain the masses.
Wow I love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are cute and funny