Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Monday, April 19, 2010

And Here We Go Again

After attending the Hill Country Book Fair this past weekend I realized that I had stopped doing my blog and I had also stopped working on my third book altogether. I do not know if it was because of working and taking college courses or the fact that Marine that seemed to take over my life had my attention. Several of the other authors advised me to blog everyday and keep my writing in the forefront. I also learned that you must network.
Today I started working on my Press kit. I find it tough to write about yourself. What part do you include and what part do you keep a mystery? I am an open person but I do have those little secrets that I like to keep to myself. The one thing that I have learned is life is an adventure. Each and everyday you learn something new not only about yourself but also about the world.
Since I have written and published "Out of the Texas Mist" and "Dead Xs in Texas" I have learned everyone makes mistakes. I guess the measure of a person is how they handle those mistakes. Some try to place the blame on others and then those that actually learn from the mistakes own up to them and make an effort to not make the mistake again. I have tried to learn from my mistakes and those that others make.
I also have learned that the more people you talk with that have chosen the same path you have you gain experience.
Several of the authors I spoke with had several self published books on their table. I rather submit my work through a publisher but have respect and admiration for those that choose to be their own publisher. They are truly gamblers. I have talked to Ben Rehder a well known author that told me to steer away from the self publishing world. His advise was for me to find a publicist. My take on the conversation was for me to learn how to be my own publicist. By doing that I have had several book signings in the past two months. Kinky Friedman suggested I become my own publisher so I could be the one that makes the money. He did advise me from the beginning that you do not make money selling books. I guess when you are an author you have to be able to be aggressive with the attention getting. The more attention you get the more books you sell. Maybe I should throw a few public temper tantrums to get my name in the paper. Once I do that then I will be known as that nutsy local author. Once people know that I exist then they will wonder what I wrote. Once they read that first crazy tale then they are hooked and have to read the second. I already know this is how it works by all those that know me and have read the two books and drive me crazy asking about the third.
Starting today I will make it a habit to write at least a page or two to that third part of the tale. I will pester bookstores and book festivals to be included and submit my work everywhere I can. Look out world here comes Cindy Lou.... and here we go again.

No comments: