Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Alien Eradicator on Board



As individuals we all have our defense mechanisms that are programed into us through genetics and through experiences in life. My defense mechanism is to withdraw within myself. I become quiet and if the situation is extreme enough I will strike out verbally or walk away and remove myself from the situation. I was being tough yesterday as they were preparing to place the power port but I did notice I was not my usual outgoing and happy person. I didn’t think I was nervous but possibly I was. The prep, procedure and time of observation was about 2 ½ hours. I am glad that they placed the port catheter in my chest to help with chemotherapy and prevent multiple IV procedures in the future. My right arm has a wonderful vein that everyone has accessed in the past two months to the point my arm is sore when I bend it. I was talking to one of the lab guys and he told me that squeezing exercises will help develop my veins in my left arm for the future but most of the technicians will access the port but the main lab will still go for the vein.

I sat at home trying to not think about how sore my chest was due to the procedure the day before and I get a call from the medical center (yep I have memorized that number). The chipper young lady said that she was from the infusion center and I was to be there tomorrow for beginner’s class. I laughed and said should my husband come to? (I was not about to let John get out of dealing with this) The young lady was excited and told me how they prefer that you bring someone to help you remember the process and to be a motivator at times that I would need one.  Then she dropped the bomb….

“Mrs. Manuel your first treatment will be Monday at 11am”. Glancing down at my black, red and blue chest covered in bandages that I was told to leave on for two weeks I wondered if she knew that this was my first full day with the contraption that had been crammed into a pocket of skin that had been made hastily by a young doctor named Steve less than 24 hours before. “Don’t worry we will cover everything tomorrow at 2pm” escaped from the phone before I could mention the newly place alien eradicating device in my chest. I assured her that we would be there then said my goodbyes.
After placing the phone down I looked over at John laughed then said so much for getting used to the alien eradicator first chemo is Monday after the appointment with financial. “I had a feeling they would call today” John whispered under his breath. I smiled and said “And so it begins”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fight girl fight. so glad you have Johnny there to hold your hand. You can hold his to help him too

Anonymous said...

Cindy, there is a cream that they should give you, and should be applied an hour before your infusion. It's applied to your port site and if this is done, you should not experience any pain at the time the procedure begins.. It is Lidocaine and Prilocaine cream 2.5%/ 2.5%.if they don't offer it at your orientation! ask for it. It is by prescription, and more than likely they will have it for you. My first time, the port was brand new, and the tech had it done and finished with absolutely no pain. They know to protect the port while it heals.