Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Ingenuity


I am proud of my sons they both know how to think out of the box. Today I was disappointed to have to work while my son Josh and my daughters man James worked on my precious truck. Since the 400big block that powers my baby and the transmission come from a 72 Ford Gran Torino parts are hard to find. Lately I have had a problem with the shifting linkage so getting her into gear is a hit and miss thing. We realized that the cable that runs from the shifter to the transmission is frayed and falling apart so after finding out that in order to fix this we need to order a cable and the cost and the time to wait to get the cable are out of the question my son and I made a trip to Ace Hardware where we rigged up a system using rods and bolts to make the linkage. Once I spent $44 on nuts bolts and what have you he assembled the system but still needed the bearings and bolts to attach the linkage to the transmission. Well of all things he did not use the bags of bolts and parts after all. This morning while I was busy at Wal-Mart playing Greeter my son Josh was at of all places a Lawnmower shop getting the parts he needed to fix my shifting problem. I must say I love his ingenuity. I am so proud of his mechanical ability and enjoy the fact that some of my fathers traits are evident in both my sons and my daughter. When he came to pick me up from work this evening I was glad to see that he had his pregnant sister with him for one but I was thrilled when I climbed into my Firecracker and started her up then shifted her into gear. Shifting has never been as smooth as what I felt as I pulled her out of the ditch and into my driveway. Thank you Josh and James for all the headaches you endured to make my Firecracker drivable. I love you both. It's great to have a mechanic in the family because I hate having to pay labor charges on something you can do yourself. I guess that is a trait I get from my dad. Like I have always said there is a way to do everything and a way around it. Think out of the box and you will find a solution. I just wish I could have been there to get my hands dirty and help. That's okay the new carburetor and oil pan gasket will be next.


No comments: