Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Friday, January 11, 2008

A little tease of The case of the Dead Husband

Okay here is a little tease of what I am working on in The Case of the Dead Husband. It starts where we are leaving a restaurant just after he arrives to help me get out of the new mess I'm in. Kinky gives some great advice. LOL
_____________________________________________________________

I was so taken by the kindness of the manager and of this sweet cowboy that walked at my side. How in the world I was able to get myself in such a mess was beyond me but the fact that this man had traveled over three hundred miles to come help me had me flabbergasted. I know Kinky had a busy life with his cigar company and his writing and raising money to run the rescue ranch and everything else he did so I was shocked that he had came to help me. Glancing over I saw the worry in his face and it broke my heart.

Once we were seated in his car Kinky lit up a cigar and we sat there silently as he puffed away. I lay my head back on the seat and inhaled the wonderful scent of his cigar smoke. When those old familiar yearning started to come back I had to just push them back to that dark space where I hide my true feelings. I did not want to be the aggressor. With my eyes closed I sat there and enjoyed the closeness and the scent of the man that had captured my heart when he took me in and cared for me as if I were an old friend. I knew why I was so drawn to him it was because he was my hero and his intelligence and the things he had experienced through his life intrigued me. I just wanted to sit there and relive his life through his words and actions so I could feel just a pinch of the exciting life he had led. I had felt my life had been so ordinary compared to the adventures he had been through. Then I realized that I had lived the life I was supposed to live. I had to travel the roads that I traveled to bring me to this moment sitting here with this fascinating man. I had to endure the hurt and pain because those were the lessons I had to learn to be able to be the person I am supposed to be tomorrow. I knew we have the control to shape our destiny but it is our past that shapes us to be able to know how to handle our future. The weird thing of it was if I had a choice of changing any one thing I wouldn’t. I would still have traveled to San Antonio for that job thus putting my life in danger. I would have still endured that frightful night of running from a crazed madman through dark woods and down that rocky creek bed. I would have still chanced my life because if that had not happened then I would not have met Kinky Friedman. Of course then I would not have fallen for the man and I would not be sitting here questioning his feelings for me. That was the only part I did not like. I did not know how he felt but he did make a valid point as we sat there by the little lake. He had said love is not something you need to figure out you just have to let the feelings hold you and accept them for what they are. He was so right about that. I was too analytical when it came to something so simple you didn’t need to know a why or how you just had to know that it was what it was.
Glancing over I saw he was watching me again. I felt like I had gotten my hand caught in the cookie jar again so I smiled as a blush crept across my face.

“Cindy what are you thinking about over there? I can see those wheels just a spinning away in that head of yours.”

“Sorry Kinky I was just thinking about what you told me earlier about not trying to figure out if you were in love just to accept it for what it was.”

“Well I’m glad something I have said has sunk into that thick stubborn head of yours.”

“Kinky I have the utmost respect for you and believe it or not I do listen to you. It’s just that sometimes I don’t listen to the good advice I get because I feel I have to do what is in my heart. I know I should let my brain rule over my heart but I’m just the kind of woman that lets my heart rule.”

“Did you stay with your husband because you let your heart rule or was it your brain?”

“Oh tough question there Kinky, I don’t know I stayed because I thought that was what marriage was giving, taking, sacrificing and enduring. I stayed because I had made a promise and I thought that was what I was supposed to do.”

“Cindy marriage is giving and taking and sacrificing but it is based on love and happiness. The way you tell it you were not happy from day one. You sacrificed your life for something you believed in even though you knew it was not as you hoped.”

“Okay Kinky I was stupid to begin with. I tried okay doesn’t that account for something. I gave my all and it still failed don’t I get a pat on the back for trying. I guess there was a lesson there for me to learn or maybe I just had to travel that road to get me to this spot because I need to be here for some reason. Maybe my being accused of conspiracy has its reason maybe someone else will learn from this.”

“Cindy that is one way to look at it but you’re talking about losing your freedom and possibly your life for someone else to learn a lesson. Do you see yourself as a martyr?”

“No.”

“That’s what it sounds like. Here scoot over here closer to me Hon.”
Scooting over closer I couldn’t help but think about what he had just said. I didn’t think I was a martyr. He placed his arm across my shoulder and I lay my head against his chest. We sat there in his car in that empty parking lot as he smoked his cigar and I just sat there and enjoyed the closeness of this wonderful cowboy.
__________________________________________________________________

Remember this is just a work of fiction. The character feelings do not necessarily reflect my own or his.

No comments: