Cindy with Candy and Chesty P

Cindy with Candy and Chesty P
My beautiful babies

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Break Check Dummy

Yesterday I noticed a strange grinding sound coming from the rear end of my truck. I was worried that maybe my back brake drums had broken or possibly the springs had came lose and they were grinding away. Today once I clocked out at work I headed home wondering what I was going to do if I needed parts before Thursday when I get paid.
Before I went home I stopped off at my daughter Kikki's house to tell my grand furbaby TuLu happy 4th birthday and to see some of the stuff she had bought for the upcoming skin baby. She was visibly upset because James had went off to his aunt's bar and left her home alone because he was mad at her. We talked for awhile then I hugged and kissed them all and came home to change clothes and grab a bite to eat.
Once I finished eating and all I went outside to jack up the back end of my truck and take the wheel off so I could see why my wheel was making noise. The husband stood back and watched me as I removed the driver side wheel and handed me a hammer to remove the brake drum. When I had the wheel drum off I looked over to see all the pins and springs were in place but as I looked back up I saw what the grinding noise was coming from.
One of my exhaust pipes had been rubbing on my drive shaft. I laughed and said THANK YOU.
I knew that my brakes were working but I wasn't sure what the grinding sound was so I assumed the springs had broken causing my drums to drag.
My son Josh had came out to check on my progress since I like to work on my truck in case I need to when no one is around. He slid under the truck and pulled the exhaust pipe away from the drive shaft and said "mom just get a clothes hanger and tie it off here when you get a chance."

I can not tell you how happy I am that I did not have a big brake job to worry about. I do know that I need to get a new oil pan gasket and borrow someones engine hoist to replace the gasket that is on there now because it is leaking. I love my truck and I love the time I spend working on her. I am thankful for such a great project.
I just want to say thank you daddy for teaching me as a young driver that you should be responsible for the vehicle you drive. It was your insistence in me helping you keep the little red pinto running so I would have a car to drive. It was your guidance that instilled the love of the classic trucks in my heart and your love that made me the unique woman that I am today. I love you and I miss you. I will always be your keyloulou.

No comments: